Parts of a PC: Software
Software is a collection of computer programs and related data that provide the instructions for telling a computer what to do and how to do it.
- A computer program is a sequence of instructions written to perform a specified task with a computer. Computer programs may be categorized along functional lines: system software and application software.
- System software is computer software designed to operate the computer hardware and to provide a platform for running application software. For example, an operating system is system software that controls the operation of a computer and directs the processing of programs.
- Common Operating Systems: Windows (for PCs), Mac OS (for Macs), Ubuntu (open source)
- Application software, also known as an application or an "app", is computer software designed to help the user to perform specific tasks. These include computer games, the Internet, word processing, and picture editors.
- Common applications: Microsoft Word and Excel, Adobe Photoshop, Internet Explorer, iTunes, Windows Media Player
A computer file is created and managed by a computer programs. Files are often grouped into folders.
Common files: pictures, documents, spreadsheets, movies
Common folders: My Documents, My Pictures
- A file manager or file browser is a computer program that provides a user interface to work with files. They allow you to find and use your files
- The most common operations performed on files or groups of files are: create, open, edit, view, print, play, rename, move, copy, delete, search/find, and modify file attributes, properties and file permissions.
- Common file managers: Explorer (Windows), Finder (Macs)
- Common Terms
Desktop is a metaphor for the home screen on your monitor. Like the top of a physical desk where you can place paper documents and folders, you can place computer files and computer folders on your computer desktop. When you open files, folders, or applications, they appear in windows on your desktop.
Windows are visual areas on your computer where you can interact with your files and programs. They are usual square, but can be resized. You can have many windows open at once, to multi-task on your computer.
File Format is the way information in a file is stored. It is important to note file format, because it will tell you what kind of file it is (like an image or document) and what application is used to open it. You can tell what format a file is by looking at the file extension which follows the "." in the file name, visible using your file manager.
- Common file formats and extensions:
- o DOC (Microsoft Office Word document) ( .doc)
- o PDF (Portable Document Format) (.pdf)
- o JPEG (Images) (.jpg)
- o MP3 (Sound) (.mp3)
Default in computer science, refers to a setting automatically assigned to a software application, computer program or device. Defaults are the settings originally programmed in your computer or application. Most computers and software will allow you to change your default setting to suit your taste.
Copyright © 2009 Stark County District Library. All rights reserved.