Find Journal, Magazine, & Newspaper Articles
The latest research findings, current events, literature reviews, and scholarly debates are often published in the form of journal articles rather than in books. Databases are useful tools to locate journal, magazine, or newspaper articles.
This tutorial is designed to provide a brief introduction to searching for articles via Stark County District Library's databases. Your library card gives you free access to the SCDL Databases, though some databases can only be accessed in the library.
DEVELOP A SEARCH STRATEGY
- Select the databases most relevant to your topic
- Identify the keywords, subjects, and ideas connected to your topic
EBSCOhost is the library's primary magazine and journal article provider. You can search EBSCOhost databases individually or search more than one at a time using the Multi-Database Search.
STEPS FOR SEARCHING
- Enter the terms from your search strategy
- Identify relevant articles by reading the abstracts
Note the subject headings, descriptors, words and phrases that have been used to describe the articles you found, and repeat your search using these keywords. You may get different results.
If the article you've selected has a Full Text link, you can read, save, print, or e-mail the article.
If the full text of the article you are interested in is not available in a database, a citation is usually given stating the article's name and the title, issue, and page number(s) of the journal in which the article appeared. This information can be used to locate the article either at Stark County District Library or another library through Interlibrary Loan. Please Contact the Reference Services Desk for assistance in finding these articles: (330) 458 2754.
Or search the WorldCat Databse to find a local library that carries the magazine, journal, or newspaper.
- If your search returns few results or does not produce the desired results, try the following:
- Use more general terms to broaden your search
- Try searching by alternative words or alternative spellings
- Explore the Help Section of the database. For example, EBSCOhost's Help give tips on searching, provides Tutorials, and shows how to set up Alerts for future articles.
- Try a different database
Last updated 11/2012
Copyright © 2009 Stark County District Library. All rights reserved.