Kindle App for Any Device
The following instructions explain how to download the Kindle app to any device or tablet. This will allow Stark County District Library cardholders to download library e-books in Kindle format to their device (Apple, Android, Nook, Windows, etc.) for free from the Ohio Digital Library.
• Stark County District Library card
• Amazon account
• Tablet or device
• Wireless internet connection
Reading Kindle e-books on a tablet or device requires the installation of a free app called the Kindle App. The first step towards getting the Kindle app is creating an account on Amazon.com. If you do not already have one, go to Amazon.com and create an account. Amazon does not require a credit card to set up an account - only an email address. If you already have an Amazon account please have your username and password ready for later in the instructions.
How to Install the Kindle App:
1. Tap on the App Store icon on your device.
2. Tap the search icon (might be displayed as a magnifying glass.)
3. Type "Kindle app" in the search box.
4. Tap on the Kindle app from the list of search results.
5. Tap the Free icon below the Kindle icon.
6. Tap Download (or Install).
7. Tap the Open button to open the app.
8. Type your Amazon account username and password in the corresponding boxes. Tap the Register button.
Your Kindle app is now installed and running. You will not need to go through these steps in the future. To open the app in the future look for the Kindle icon on your home screen with the other apps installed on your device.
How to Get Kindle e-books Udelsing the Kindle App:
1. Go to the Ohio Digital Library website tap Sign In at the top right corner. Follow the sign in process by typing in your library name (Stark County District Library) and card number (2133300xxxxxxx).
2. Search for a book by locating the Search box at the top right of the page. Tap in the search box and type an author's name, title, keyword, subject, or other search term.
3. Tap the magnifying glass to activate your search.
Note: for additional search instructions and tips look for the General Searching in the Ohio Digital Library or Advanced Searching in the Ohio Digital Library handouts on the Stark County District Library website.
Limit search results to just Kindle e-books (the format compatible with Kindle devices) by selecting Kindle Book in the Format limiter on the left side of the page. Other limiters include sorting, subject, publisher, language and more. Limit results to books available right now for checkout by tapping on the Show me only titles with copies available button.
4. Tap on any item's cover image to read more about or begin the checkout process. Tap on the blue Borrow button to check out the book. You will be taken to the Bookshelf where you can download the item.
5. Tap on the blue Download (Select one format) button; check Kindle Book (this is the e-book format compatible with Kindle devices); then tap Confirm & Download. This will open Amazon.com - the website from which the Kindle book will be downloaded.
Note: If you are not already signed into your Amazon account, do so now and then repeat step #5.
6. Look for the green square on the right side of the Amazon page. Under the Deliver to: menu make sure the name of your Kindle is displayed in that box. Use the drop-down menu to specify which device should receive the e-book.
7. Tap the yellow Get library book button to initiate the download. The book will download immediately to your device.
8. Tap on the Kindle icon on your device to open the Kindle app.
9. Tap on the book's cover to begin reading.
Note: if you do not see your book's cover image you may need to sync your device. To do this tap the menu button at the top of the screen; then tap Sync. Tap away from the menu and the book's cover will be on the screen. Now tap the book's cover image to begin reading.
When the lending period is over (typically twenty-one days for e-books) your title will be returned wirelessly-no late fees. You can make early returns in your Amazon account by tapping the Manage your Kindle link found in the top row of links on the Amazon.com homepage. For more information about this see the Amazon's Manage Your Account handout on the Stark County District Library's website.
Still have questions? Please feel free to ask a staff member, call (330) 458-3150 or (330) 458-3160 or email email@example.com for additional assistance.
Copyright © 2009 Stark County District Library. All rights reserved.